< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Thursday, January 13

Black Dahlia murder case solved.

Visit the site, and definitely read the book. I wrote this to the author :
Mr Hodel, I'm currently reading your book, picked up from association with James Elroy, as I'm sure you get told a lot. I find it fascinating, not so much for the murder or the mystery, as for the story of your relationship with your father, of his life, and of the path you followed to come to your conclusion. Thanks for sharing this with us, and congratulations on the success of the book. -- Mathieu

As I indicated to the author, retired LAPD Homicide detective and son of the man now considered to have murdered the Black Dahlia, the thing which makes the book impossible to put down, for me, is the story of the son's journey to know his father, and finding the incredible, horrible truth for his pains.

This would be a great read, even if it were fiction.

I highly recommend it!

UPDATE : The author, Steven Hodel, has written back with a few kind words. I'm always surprised by how available many writers are if you drop a line to tell them your appreciation for their work.

2 Insights :

Blogger kitten intuited...

I read that one...and i also read the equally plausible "Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer" by Janice Knowlton.
Of you read both, you come away with the feeling that both cases have merit.
Are we a true crime buff?

1/13/2005 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Well, Kitten, without having read Ms Knowlton's book, I still beg to differ.

My understanding is that her book is based on memories that she suddenly retrieved as an adult, and that it has little support.

Steve Hodel's book, on the other hand, is based on investigation, and has received spectacular corroboration since its first printing in the form of new material released from the DA's case file (as opposed to the LAPD's).

Now I'm not an expert, but press coverage, the very cogent and detailed arguments of the second edition of Black Dahlia Avenger, and the support of James Ellroy lead me to conclude that, at the very least, the two books are NOT equally plausible.

Perhaps you have not read the second edition?

1/16/2005 05:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.