< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Thursday, January 6

Friend in need

Woke up this morning, yawned, scratched, and pulled the laptop closer to turn it on. By the time XP booted, it was this afternoon, and I had one eye open. I hadn't even finished downloading my two (slow night) emails, when I get a panicky IM from Chaton (not you, Kitten, another one) saying that David and Alessandra are leaving. Fortunately, my bed is low to the ground. Unfortunately, so is my ceiling. Nursing a throbbing forehead I hadn't had a second ago, and my buns freezing on the hardwood floor (not my choice, I'm renting), I reflect that this is NOT going to be a good day. A few IMs later, and having finally read the email from Dave, I piece together the sad facts : Alessandra's company will soon be sold, merged or otherwise drawn & quartered, and she will be out of a job. Dave, who's been jobless for a while now, will have to find one, and they have to cut back on expenses until then. If he doesn't, they will need to leave Paris. I assume either to go back to Dave's native Virginia, or Alessandra's Torino (in Italy, you redneck ninnies). And that would suck. I've volunteered help and support, but the job market is, admittedly, not great in France for geeks with still creaky French. It's like the end of an era. Dave, with a job, is going to take some getting used to. Less free time, different concerns and subjects of interest... In a way, I'm looking forward to seeing the results, but I'm sorry for the necessity. Well, I'm awake now, bummer. Location : Beauvais, France

2 Insights :

Blogger kitten intuited...

Whew!
I was worried for a sec there cuz I DONT EVEN KNOW Dave and Alessandra..who I am quite sure are very nice people indeed.

Love the new look, my man...very hip....

1/06/2005 05:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

Unfortunately, I know your friends' pain. I, too, am one of those people in France looking for a job with mediocre French. I have had a few interviews, but it always comes down to me not speaking fluent French. If something does not happen in the next few months, then it is back to the US of A. I can only be jobless and carefree for so long.

Jason
http://jasonstone.typepad.com

1/06/2005 05:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.