< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Thursday, January 13

Miyazaki & Moëbius exhibit in Paris...

Totoro, the friendly iconic monster from Miyazaki's inner world. Mitazaki is the god-king of Japanese anime, with such cult & mass-market classics as Nausicaa : Valley of the Winds, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, or his latest, Howl & the Walking Castle. And, yes, before you ask, we have them all on DVD :D Miyazaki's heroines are often girls learning to assert themselves and live their own lives, and confronted with monsters that can be scary at first, but once understood on their own terms, usually turn out to be a force for good, or balance in the world. All this in an oniric, unquestioning, yet powerful style that is instantly recognizable. Miyazaki is an elusive figure, and his drawings had never left his studios, where one must make a reservation four months in advance in order to see them, until this expo, which he shares with Moëbius. A typical drawing from French Graphic Artist Moëbius, with the detailed line, the complex clothing, the levitating object and the mysterious smile of the character. There is always a sense in Moëbius' art that understanding is just around the corner, that you are just missing the point, served by a deft hand and an incredible eye for design and color. A complete graphic artist involved in Graphical Novels, Film, both animation and live actor, and video games, Moëbius has sculpted much of our current more colorful and enigmatic visions of what the future holds, and what lies inside us all. UPDATE : The first volume of his seminal work the Incal series has just been published in english, and you can see a preview of the first four pages here. Of particular interest amongst the drawings on exhibit here is the pivotal 400 page story board for a movie version of Dune, which altho it never made the silver screen, was a major influence on written, filmed or drawn scifi since. If you're anywhere near Paris right now, and have ANY interest in the graphical arts, rush over and see this right away. While the link lasts, you can see some of the drawings here.

6 Insights :

Blogger kitten intuited...

Now, thats scary......

1/13/2005 12:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

Hi Mathieu, it's James' wife Lori. I don't do a lot of blogging, but I always enjoy your site when I visit! I've always been intrigued with Japanese anime--it's just so unique! My brother does graphics for video games and loves Miyazaki. He sat James and me down to see both Totoro and Spirited Away. I enjoyed them both, and even bought Spirited Away. My brother has also introduced me to Ranma 1/2 (which is probably my favorite of my limited experience) and Bone. I hadn't heard of Moebius--his stuff looks cool--I'll have to ask my brother if he's heard of him and recommend he check it out.

1/13/2005 01:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mz. Gydnew intuited...

The few movies I've seen of Miyazaki's I've loved. Spirited Away makes me cry every time I watch it.

That image from My Neighbor Totoro is incredible. I'm gonna have to try to find a print of that.

The work Moebius was cool too. I guess he's done a lot of concept art for various movies.

1/13/2005 05:20:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Hi Lori! An angel as graced this page... thanks for dropping by :D

If your brother has never read any Moëbius, he should start on the very best, the Incal series, which I understand DC Comics is about to release in english. I will add a link to it in the post itself.

Wendy is right, he has collaborated as graphic designer on such movies as Alien, Abyss, Fifth Element or Blade Runner, and that's quite a list, isn't it?

1/13/2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger kitten intuited...

I still think Totoro is creepy.But I think pickachu is creepy too. Weel, pretty much ALL pokemon.

I didnt know he was involved with thosse movies...if he had included Jaws, it would pretty much be my top 5!

1/13/2005 02:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

It's Lori and I'm blushing--thank you for the warm welcome!! And thank you for the recommendation--I just might have to check it out myself! My brother had heard of Moebius and said he likes Miyazaki better. :) He would've loved to go to that expo...

1/15/2005 01:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.