< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Friday, January 14

The Mulubinba Number of this Blog is 2!

Familiar with the 6 degrees of separation concept? The idea is that it should never take more than six connections to get from one node to another in a network with sufficient randomness in how those connections are established. Or something. Anyhoo, over at Mulubinba Moments, they've had this wonderful idea : apply the 6 degrees of separation idea to blogs, and their connections by blogrolling. In effect, you pick a random blog, for example at the recently updated lists at typepad, or blogger, or here at blogrolling. I like the last one, because it guarantees a blog with a blogroll. From that random blog, you find the shortest route back to your own blog, taking only links in blogrolls. This number should not be more than six. Note that it is possible to find isolated blogs or groups of blogs, that only link each other, in which case you will not find a way home... such is life. Now the next idea to apply is to count how many steps any blogs is from an arbitrary blog which serves as a starting point. I chose to use Mulubinba Moments as that reference point, since they had the original idea we are embellishing on. This is like the Kevin Bacon Number for Movie Stars. As such, this blog's Mulubinba Number is two (2), since you can get there from here in two steps via the Blue Ridge Blog. Of course, I've since blogrolled Mulubinba Moments, so now my MN is one, but that's cheating a little... UPDATE : As pointed out in an anonymous comment, I made a mistake defining the Mulubinba Number as the number of links from here to Mulubinba. It really should be the reverse. Thanks for the observation! As a result, I do not know my MN right now, as neither Blue Ridge Blog nor Mulubinba Moments have blogrolled me! I will investigate and report on the true value of this blog's MN. Stay tuned! Location : Beauvais, France

4 Insights :

Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful intuited...

Mon ami, how did you set up your "classics" drop-down section. I LOVE IT!!! And envy one for my very own..muahahaha!!! Please do share with me how you got it up on your blog?

1/14/2005 05:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

You are just trying to get me to waste more time, aren't you? As if I don't find enough ways to spend an entire day perusing blogs and now you have given me another way to spend the day. Ugghhhh.

Jason
http://jasonstone.typepad.com

1/14/2005 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

Great idea! Really, you should start from Mulubinba Moments and see how many links it takes you to get home to get the Mulubinba Number. That way your Mulubinba Number is still 2 (until you are added to Mulubinba's Blogroll)

1/14/2005 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Jason, as Sinfest's little devil would say, because I'm evil.

Anonymous, you are, of course correct, and the Mulubinba Number should be calculated from MM to here, and not the reverse, by analogy to the Kevin Bacon number.

1/14/2005 02:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.