< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Wednesday, February 2

Happiness is a Cigar Called Hamlet...

After a quiet day at the office, in which we've made some real progress, we unwound at the hotel with some cigars and some cognac. I would have preferred some scotch, but the difference in price pushed me to give it a go.
A mistake. Cognac is just too sweet for this. Felt like maple syrup, or worse, caramel. Oh well, live and learn.
At least the Cohiba was deliciously smooth. I've never been disappointed by one. I'll miss them in the US.
There is a good live band in the lounge, with two female leads, and some male vocals from the lead guitar. All three are good, but he has some soul. Reminded me of a colleague of his in a girly bar in Phuket-Town, the Pink Lady something or other (there are several Pink Lady somethings in Phuket, but this one was mid-range, going for the chinese businessmen, the westerners tending to stick to Patong on the other side of the island).
Anyhoo, this singer gave a moving rendition of Elvis standards, and the King was smiling on us that night. I left my co-divers to a hard-fought round of Connect-Four with the bar-girls and just enjoyed the singing.

Location : Hotel Shilla, Seoul, Korea.

6 Insights :

Blogger Julie intuited...

Groovy night!
Always pay extra for the scotch - my husband has a saying that could be used literally in this example -
The bitter taste of poor (or pour) Quality lingers long after the price is forgotten!

2/03/2005 02:12:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Alas, he couldn't be more right. I was tricked by the fact that we had Hennessy VSOP at 11 bucks at pop on one side, and basic Glenfiddich at 28 bucks a pop on the other...

I'm not a huge fan of Glen-whatever, preferring Talisker or my favourite, Lagavulin.

So decided to take a risk. Bad move.

It's clear that Cognac is intended to be drunk after dessert, when the palate is already drenched in sweetness, and that good Malts go much better with cigars.

Won't make THAT mistake ever again.

2/03/2005 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful intuited...

Very "Lost in Translation" that hotel bar mon cher. I adore Cohiba's and I have a batch of them in my humidor right now so I can still order them but probably not the same as the cuban version or something. All the same the Cohiba's I toke are E X C E L L E N T!!!!!!

2/03/2005 02:32:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

James, mon ami...

I'm glad someone made the connection between your comment here and my being in the hotel bar last night, but doing so publicly raises the risk that the Princess could read this.

And then what do I do?

Ha, ha, just kidding honey!

2/03/2005 02:45:00 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish intuited...

I had exactly the same thought as James re. 'Lost in Translation' !! This is because everything in life can be related back to the movies. EVERYTHING, I tell you!

Ah, Connect Four. How many times I have been beaten by children a third my age playing that game.

2/03/2005 05:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Oh, the bargirls trounced them soundly, I assure you.

Although they couldn't have been more than half our age :)

2/03/2005 05:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.