< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Saturday, February 26

Render Unto Caesar...

French film-making has just had its big night. The French Oscars, you could call them, or more properly, 'les Césars', in which instead of getting a little dude in 1930's futuristic style, you get a gold brick of mashed together scrap metal by famous French sculptor César, because we're the French...
Les Césars
So there! :P In fact, we gave a 'César d'Honneur' to Will Smith this year, altho what an Oscar of Honor from a member of the Axis of Weasels stands for, I don't know. Oh, sorry, forgot Condi was here last week to listen to Chamber Music and tell us America doesn't hate us. We were so relieved. ;) Oh, and appreciative of her Neo-save-the-World outfit in Wiesbaden. Luuuv da boots, Ms Rice, really. The Manolo, he must have approved the boots of the State.
Condi's boots
Anyhoo, not what I wanted to talk about. Also won't touch the usual gripes about how phony the whole thing sounds, etc, because one day, my darling, genius daughter Chloe will go up on that stage to receive one of those heavy gold bricks for best first film, or best director, or perhaps even best film, and I wouldn't want people to quote from the old archives of the man who dethroned the Instapundit (not even gonna link him) as the biggest blogger in the universe, who would just happen to be her aging father, and embarrass her. I mean, the whole moment should be about her, not me, you know?
Shooting on location, Thailand 2003
Where was I? Oh, yes, I want to thank my wonderful dad, so funny, so kind, so inspiring and trusting and supportive and... oh, no, errr... wrong paper, this one's for Chloe. No, shopping list for GISBE... ah! there it is. I wanted to point out how PROUD I am, me personally as a frenchman almost born in Algeria, and with a profound admiration for the islamic culture and faith thru the ages, a bottomless sorrow that this proud, deep, generous, open faith and its people have fallen on such hard times, AND a lasting sense of shame for my country's treatment of her sons and daughters of arabic descent, THAT a young frenchman of North African origins, Abdellatif Kechiche, has won Césars for best script, best director and best film with his film "l'esquive" set in one of our "troubled neighborhoods". Oh, and they threw in best new female actress in there somewhere.
Congrats, Abdel, and shukran for being so modest and noble up there at the stand. I love your Saladin quote :
"Pleasure or pain until death. When pleasure is here, enjoy."

5 Insights :

Blogger Julie intuited...

Are they really prejudice against arabs and muslims there also? I thought it was just here. It's terrible here.
You all don't belive miss condelezza lies, I mean rice do you? LOL.
She just wants something from you all now, while people still boycott french wine at their own expense of taste. Those were some nice boots though.
What were you and your dad doing, what kind of trip?
Cool pics

2/27/2005 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Trojan intuited...

I laughed when I heard the yanks changed french fries to freedom fries during the invasion.
I read somewhere once that during one of the world wars they changed sauerkraut to liberty cabbage. Hahaha.
And if France became one of the bad guys, according to the Americans, and they were that mad as to boycott French products. Why did they not return the statue of liberty?
Hmmmmm. Hypocrisy perhaps?

2/27/2005 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger Pat intuited...

Wow - what absolute great news about the Ceasar winner!! Great, great "shot in the arm" for all Muslims and Arabs living here in France (yes, Julie, the prejudice is extremely bad here!).
Pat - an American Muslim, married to an Arab, two ArabAmerican children, living in Paris!

2/27/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful intuited...

That tis indeed a great quote. The Condi Rice "visit" to Europe was a joke. SHE is a joke. I noticed her S&M leather boots outfit too. Hmmm. I think that is someone trying to compensate for lacking in true strength maybe??

2/27/2005 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Hi Julie, yes France is very prejudiced against arabs and muslims. They are the local equivalent of African-Americans, very much part of the French identity, but feared and hated by many. They are the country's greatest challenge and greatest opportunity, but most people don't realize it.

Ozbhoy, I love the yanks, I really do. Most of them don't indulge in silly stuff like that, and the ones that do, well, if kharma has anything to do with it, they'll come back as bangladeshi farmer's wives. See how they like it THEN.

Pat, my dad and I were clapping when he got best film. This is such a GOOD thing. Makes me believe the country may yet find its way to peace, harmony and the realization of its full, multicultural potential:)

James, she's an interesting member of the Bush cast, to say the least. The contradictions are more apparent in her, and she does less of the aw-shucks-weeze-just-regular-fellahs shite. Refreshing, actually.

2/27/2005 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.