< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Friday, February 11

Update from Phuket

Some of the earlier readers of this blog will remember that my brother Greg lives in Thailand, on the island of Phuket, hard hit by the Xmas Day Tsunami last december. His live reports are available in the classics menu in the sidebar.
You will also remember that he collected some money from close friends in the US or Europe to assist the kids of the school where he teaches english. I promised to come back with an update on that.
Turns out his school received a million bhat (20k euro) from a swede, and he has had to find someone in more dire need. This is Bang Tao School, because the school itself is undamaged, and in a spot where few westerners go, and has received little private aid, and no public aid what's so ever.
Here is a breakdown on the spending of the 4,600+ euro he collected :
3 times 10,000 bahts for the 3 kids that lost at least one parent.
64 times 2,500 bahts for the 64 kids whose homes have been destroyed and whose parents have lost their livelihood (fishing boat, beachfront restaurant).
42 times 1,000 bahts for the 42 kids whose families have suffered some damage and loss, but not so traumatic.

Greg tells me the economy is tanking, people are getting laid off, and the sponsors for his radioshow have cancelled sine die. I'm sure this money, as little as it seems to us, will be of real help in Bang Tao.
Location : the Road to the South of France.

3 Insights :

Blogger kitten intuited...

I dont think I was reading you yet...when the Tsunami hit. Wish I had been...Im going to check out your archives now...thanks for the info. Now get some sleep!

2/11/2005 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

I was glad to be able to give to Greg and know what would happen to the money, and just trust him to find a worthy cause. Last word is that the school where he teaches now has 3,000,000 baht of aid.

Bang Tao has a tenth of that for only slightly less students, and proportionally as hard hit.

I'm glad the postcard got there, I was starting to worry!

I'll make a special post to celebrate it's arrival.

2/12/2005 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish intuited...

That's a great idea your bro had - I know a lot of people who'd prefer to see the money going direct to the places it is needed as opposed to going through a big agency that might spend it on advertising, bibles and prayer mats, or the recarpeting of their employees offices.

I GOT MY POSTCARD TOO! Thankyou. Rock!! I am planning a special post about it myself.

2/12/2005 06:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.