< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Tuesday, March 22

Down for the Count...

The Count would fly in from NYC for a week at a time and stay on East Coast Time. We'd work after nightfall in his suites, always in the best Parisian hotels, and around one or two AM, he'd call down for the limo, and we'd go eat fashionably overdesigned dinners in restaurants you couldn't see from the street, filled with cokefiend-thin models and older men in pitchblack shades and pimp threads. After intricate desserts, I'd ride the limo back to suburbia while the Count worked deeper into the night. Over the next six months, I watched the Count mesmerize CEOs, politicians and accountants with his aura of old New York investement banker money, stratospheric name dropping and a nitroglycerine temper that toed the line into contempt but somehow always stayed just this side of simple impatience for the opportunities awasting. They promised him millions, they offered to work for free, they went on national television to pledge their eternal souls to him and his vision. He, in turn, promised them incredible earning ratios, on-the-ground-floor investment opportunities, solutions to societal issues costing billions upon billions and more importantly, votes. All based on the spreadsheets I made for him in the deep of the night. He promised me shares of the company, four times my current salary, a green card, a corner office in Manhattan, the kingdoms of the earth. It all came crashing down eventually, and the Count has moved on to the next great con, still living in style waiting for the Big One, the break into billionairehood. We stood in his unpaid suite, window open upon the Place de la Concorde slick with rain and empty of any traffic, before he flapped his cape to fly back into the night.
The Count...
I could have flown out that window with him, become like him, living in a parallel world of power, money, lies and solitude, and started my own search for someone to bring to the Dark Side... but he left empty-handed, bloated with misery and without the true sustenance of any vampire : their victim's desire to be like them, that reflection in the other's eyes that mirrors refuse them. Because they can't stand the sight of themselves.

10 Insights :

Blogger Alekx intuited...

hmmmmm I'm kinda speechless on this post. It's a great post but I'm trying to figure out if you are okay....ARE you okay?
I think your reflection is pretty darn good by the way.
Hugs and I'm here if you need someone to chat with

3/22/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

That's awefully nice of you Alekx :)

I'm fine, this happened 18 months ago, and lead, indirectly, to my meeting the Princess. Plus, I passed the test ;)

Glad you liked the writing. Check my brother's blog for an EXCELLENT piece that inspired me to really try for this one. It's the "Le Serpent" link in the blogroll...

3/22/2005 07:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

The test?

Beautiful writing indeed. I need something to inspire me to try harder ...

Anyway, it sounds like there's another story in there, waiting to burst out ..?

3/22/2005 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Yeah, there's another story there, but it's job related, and I don't want to blog about it.

Suffice it to say, it's frustrating as all heck. You get to enjoy the fruits of my sublimating the anger ;)

3/23/2005 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Taken intuited...

Hey Bro! You're the one who's an inspiration to me, don't get it all mixed up :P

I never liked the Count and even though you might owe him meeting the Princess, you certainly don't owe him being with her.

3/23/2005 04:32:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Greg, you're the inspired one in the family, and the one with r34l writing skillz :)

3/23/2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Step, it would have strained my credulity to even consider that for more than a couple seconds ;P

3/23/2005 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful intuited...

Excellent writing my friend. I like the new look of the blog.

3/24/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Hey James, mon ami!

Thank you for the vote of confidence :)

3/24/2005 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Thanks Coquette :)

We just need to fuel the creative engine with all that frustration... or just blab and live with the consequences ;P

3/25/2005 01:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.