< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Tuesday, January 25

Roughing It With Technology...

As y'all know, I'm hoping to move to the US in March. In the meantime, I've moved to Beauvais, about an hour north of Paris, in a cheap flat with woodbeams and a mezzanine. Well, I'm having to rough it, here. There is no rooftop TV antenna in the building, only satellite. In order to get the satellite receiver, I'd have to sign up for a year. The local phone company won't connect me if I don't sign up for a year, so no landline. 8 megabit/s symmetrical broadband internet access costs only 20 euros a month but requires a local phone connection (no cable) and that I sign up for a year. (starting to see a trend?) And none of my neighbours have a WiFi connection to leech off of! The list goes on and on. All these wonderful bits of technology, and I can't have them because i'm outta here in two months. What to do? Well, I've gone Road-Warrior full time. I use my cellphone for all my calls. I have a cellular dial-up connection. So I'm ALWAYS moblogging no matter where I am! Location : Beauvais, France

5 Insights :

Blogger kitten intuited...

Thats my Katie..she is the sweetest and the cutest girl in the UK. So are you saying that you post thru your cell? I know you can do that, but doesnt it take eons?? DId you hear from the "GD Communist Bastard Visa Bureacrat people" that are giving you a hard time about coming here? When you get here, will you still type with a French accent?

1/25/2005 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Hi Katie, hi Kitten!

I actually have a little PCMCIA cellphone that drops directly into the laptop. Snazzy and dang useful.

I've got an upcoming update on the EWVBs, but suffice it to say, it's looking good, in that special, weird and frustrating way of bureaucrats everywhere.

Thanks for the support in any case.

Oh, and sorry to dissappoint, but I don't have much of a french accent, I'm afraid.

I'll try to leave an audioblog tomorrow to give you an idea.

1/25/2005 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful intuited...

I'm excited that you are moving to the U.S.
We'll have to visit you and/or you visit us!

1/25/2005 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Avec plaisir, mon ami!

1/25/2005 08:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous intuited...

I'm jealous of all your gadgets! And I'm glad you found a way to stay connected--I don't know what I'd do without the internet (despite my lack of a blog)! ~Lori

1/27/2005 01:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.