< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://ban-sidhe.com" >

Monday, March 28

Near Sighted

Blogging is a near-sighted illusion of celebrity. Walking in the streets of Paris, I'm constantly surprised that no-one comes up to me to ask if I'm Mathieu from that blog. Worse, I'm expecting them to ask me if the Count actually exists, or how to pronounce Ban Sidhe or Syvwlch without any need to verify my identity. C'est bon comme là-bas, dis!Since I've recently taken steps to correct my optical near-sightedness, and the blurry faces of strangers are suddenly sharply detailed individuals, I'm now acutely aware of any glances, stares, and frank appraisals that come my way. Seeing as Chaton lives in the gay quarter of Paris, this isn't limited to women, either. Bref, I'm wallowing in egocentricity. Better that than self-pity. Singha long...Cut to discussion of Bouffon's literally underground film with his number one fan, drinking Singha beer over glass noodle soup at the Mai Thai, served by a genuine Katoi, listening to the soothing liquid sounds of Thai babble from the kitchen... We were speaking in our usual hash of French and East-Coast English of the plans for a visit in Thailand around May and I was trying not to be too obvious stealing glances at a pretty, older brunette one table over, volleying a NYC accent across the table with a (slightly) older woman. Which latter woman suddenly struck up a conversation with us. Busted. Mother visiting daughter and grandkids who live in France, it turned out, and daughter married to a Frenchman and working nearby in a model agency. A wealth of conversational options opened up between recommending our international high school (which she knew of and approved) and name dropping around Greg's brief modeling career (she didn't look impressed at all), and dryed up just as quickly. We wished them a pleasant afternoon, and left the building. Ten steps down the sidewalk it strikes me. I bet she blogs! I bet she knows Coquette or somesuch... and we didn't ask. Flashback to last face-to-face with Step... Yes, definitely need some personal cards with our blog addresses on them. Because I can just see myself handing one over and asking : "Do you Blog?" And someday, somewhere, somebody exclaiming, holding the little bit of stiff paper in both hands : "Oh, you're THAT Mathieu!"

4 Insights :

Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Ah, Bouffon, and you're the only one of us with a realistic shot at fame, too!

I knew you'd relate :)

How's the finger?

3/29/2005 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

That's the spirit!

Break out those blog cards :D

3/29/2005 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jellyfish intuited...

Firstly - yet again blogger has deigned to let me comment here. Brief rejoicing, some boogie moves.

Secondly - oh, you internerd celebrity, you! Welcome to the ranks of the Not-Quite-Famous. We're not at all concerned about our inadequacies, no we aren't!

Thirdly - I asked you what Ban Sidhe and Syvwlch meant, but I've forgotten the answer. Something something Celtic, something roleplaying, something? Quelque chose? Ah well, keep it mysterious!

3/29/2005 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Mathieu intuited...

Jellybaby,

uno - blogger sucks a moose's ass, witness how long it took me to reply to you :(

dos - if you send me a self-addressed, stamped enveloppe, I will send you an authographed picture of my glasses 8)

tres - no idea what you're referring to :D

3/30/2005 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Missed a recent post? Find it here.

Looking for more B.S.? Find it here.